Sunday, December 12, 2010

Antique Booth Display Ideas: The Importance Of Color And Charm

How to Make Your Antique Booth Shop, Kitchen Look Attractive

Every now and then you have to mix it up and change your displays in your antique shop or mall. But what do you do when you sell lots of the same colors or types of collectibles? How do you stir the pot (no pun intended) to make things look different? This post will help you begin to imagine some changes you could make to impove your antique booth space displays.

Kitsch n Stuff Kitchen Collectibles

At my humble little ole booth (kitsch n Stuff) at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford Connecticut you will find plenty of kitchen collectibles in red, yellow, blue, green or some combination of those colors.
By far I have more red and yellow or red and white items than other color combination. And after a while the displays start needing a punch in the arm to wake them up. So here are some tips to help you improve the look of your displays.

Add The Color Turquoise Or Aqua To Red Kitchen Collectibles

Believe it or not turquoise (aqua) looks great with red and yellow objects. In fact you can pair turquoise with just yellow or just red or as part of a vignette of red, yellow, white kitchenwares. And as you can see in the photos shown, the turquoise (aqua) planter sitting on a kitchen canister has a plate propped inside it. And the cornucopia planter has a colorful red and yellow hot pad tucked inside. Remember to make your collectibles do double duty!

With 1940s and 1950s Kitchen Collectibles Go For The Charming Element

This may just be my personal preference, but it has served me well. After I create a new display for my kjtchen collectibles, I stand back and look table top display or shelf that I have just completed and I ask myself, "Is it charming?" That is when I look around my booth and pull out an adorable planter or figurine or object that completes the "Is it Charming ? " test.

Use A Colorful But Not Too Busy Tablecloth Or Fabric Remnant As A Shelf Liner
When I am out shopping for kitchen collectibles, I always keep my eye out for 1940s or 1950s remnants or tablecloth cutters that could be re-cycled as shelf liners. I keep a special box of such cloths handy and bring them to my shop when I am re- decorating. This is one area that you have to experiment with your ideas.

It Doesn't Always Have To Be Matchy Matchy
Sometimes a cloth may have a color that you thought would work but ends up looking too drab. Or, if you get too matchy matchy, your display is drabby. As I have talked about before....fool around with ideas....let things happen on their own.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. One of my most favorite combos is the turquoise and red, and your little booth is just packed with charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were at the antique store today and your booth looks so colorful and fun. Santa was there and there was coffee and cookies, it was great! Picked up some great Christmas gifts. Would have liked to say hello:)
    ~Debra
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Excellent, Collection of shows......good article.. very useful and appreciated it..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do miss the physical shops and online antique malls and your photos took me right back to that place in time. I've seen several large malls close in my area in the past few years, maybe due to economy or online selling. I remember being drawn to the most colorful booths, those with the curious 1950s color schemes, the same ones as you've listed. Thanks for your article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now following, love your colorful cottage wares! Come visit me sometime♥
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis