Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tips For Arranging and Displaying Small Paintings and Collectibles

Displaying Miniature Paintings and Collectibles

I'm on a miniature kick now....setting up little arrangements of small paintings (some of them mine and some from other artists) with the small size collectibles I have been buying.

Easy to Carry In a Small Shopping Bag

There are advantages to this type of "cute" collecting...you can carry home a lot of stuff in a little shopping bag. That is exactly what I did all weekend...I went from shop to shop buying adorable mini collectibles. From small pitchers to 1940s figurines, I had a ball at my favorite flea markets and junk shops.

Postwar "Little People"

When I got home, I unpacked my "little people' and my baseball card size paintings and I started to plan my strategy for grouping objects.

Basically if this had been a chess game, I would have moved around the pieces one billion times. I am NOT exaggerating.

Patience When Working With Tchotkes

When you are working with tchotkes you have to take your time......My heavy thoughts today were ....would I place my newly acquired objects by color, theme, pattern, texture, size, shape etc? For such a "small" job (no pun intended...these were monumental decisions for me to make.
Here is a list of tips so you will have a head start if you find yourself playing with mini art and collectibles.


Tips For Arranging and Displaying Small Paintings and Collectibles



1. earthy look (group stone, wood, natural objects together)
2. combine similar colors
3. mix large and small.
4. place three objects together with varying sizes.
5. use a small wooden box with shelves to help you organize objects.
6. display small paintings on an easel.
7. group similar shape objects together or mix up shapes..
8. keep the same era together.
9. combine similar materials or textures.
10. potluck.... experiment...don't think!

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips, because I am clueless when it comes to displaying things! I think some of them can probably work for displaying bigger things too. You've inspired me to hit the antique stores this week and check out the "smalls"!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis