Thursday, November 15, 2012

Seeing Abstract Art In The Spirit Of The Season


Studio 9B Farmington Valley Arts Center Welcomes Visitors November 16th, 2012 For Candlelight Season Opening 6:00-9:00 p.m.   

The days leading up to the Candlelight Opening (November 16th, 2012 6:00-9:00 p.m. ) at the Farmington Valley Arts Center (FVAC) are very exciting.  Artists are coming and going all day long and even throughout the evenings getting ready for the big event which draws crowds of visitors to  FVAC.

I can attest to  just how busy FVAC gets on Candlelight Night because my studio was packed with guests last year for this festive event.   I am one of the newer artists at FVAC and I really had a great time listening to people comment on my work and realizing that taste and meaning  in art is a very personal  experience.

Interpreting Abstract Art Is Contextual

One of my pieces had always reminded me of a faucet dripping water. It was really an abstract done in pastel and paint. It really didn't look like a faucet, but in my head I called it my faucet painting. Then (last year) a "jolly" group of folks stepped into my studio after sampling the wine and cheese and other sweets and goodies offered in the open studios and declared that Santa Claus was making an appearance in my painting. And that my "faucet" was a young boy sitting on a chair wearing boots. 

Santa still appears in the painting and so does the boy. It's amazing what people will see in the  "spirit" of the season.

What do you see when you look ast this artwork?  


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis