Sunday, November 25, 2012

Holiday Shopping At The Junk Shop Of Canton, Canton, CT


Offbeat Holiday Gifts AT Off The Beaten Path Places

This time of year, you can divide shoppers into   several categories according to their shopping styles and habits.

Type A Holiday Shoppers

There is of course the Type A shoppers who seek out holiday gifts with a list and a plan. These organized folks head to their nearby mall and stay focused on what they want to buy and for whom they want to gift.

Cyber Holiday Shoppers

Another large group of shoppers stays addicted to Amazon.com and other online selling sites and are people who avoid leaving their cyber world.  Don't get me wrong, I like the privacy of shopping at my desk or crunched up on the couch too, but that is not the same experience as being out in the trenches.

Junk Shoppers Unite

And then there are others who hunt for treasures anywhere and everywhere but the expected places. I feel akin with the third  group of mavericks that flock to junk stores and thrift shops trying to spot a bargain or an unusual item. And BTW,  I never bring a list with me, preferring to just fall into an unusual or kooky find for me or a loved one.

The Junk Shop Of Canton, CT

One of my chief hunting grounds at all times of the year is The Junk Shop of Canton, Canton, CT. Located right on the main road (Route 44) this very old building has been around for years, surviving hurricanes, snowstorms and maybe even plagues.

The Junk Shop of Canton wouldn't dare  come apart at the seams and leave regulars like myself lost without a place to rummage through especially through the holidays

During  a recent visit to The Junk Shop of Canton, the store was stuffed to the limits. I like it when Eric, the owner has unpacked some really good truckloads of  "junk". And truthfully often Eric's "junk" is more exciting than the mainstream antique stores in the area.

At The Junk Shop Of Canton, you will be able to find vintage musical instruments, art supplies, kitchenwares,  lighting, furniture, retro, tools, artwork, toys, pop culture, barware, books, holiday decor, glassware,



C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of place! I think that your neck of the woods sounds like a very charming place!

    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend nandu , hyderabad,i have read at least 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, Plots for sale in Manikonda

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis