Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas Holiday Gifts Made From Old Game Boards And Book Covers


Making Your Own Journal/Scrap Book From Old Game Boards Or Book Covers


Over the Thanksgiving holidays, my sister opened up the trunk to her car to show me a load of flea market finds she wasn't sure what to do with.  In the pile of collectible junk she was giving me first dibs at, were some beat up board games from the 60s and 70s.

Making Handmade Journal Books From Old Game Boards

In the past I have given old game pieces to a friend of mine who makes assemblage art using found objects. But recently she has moved away from  toy and game parts onto tea bags and other mixed media. So I passed on my sister's games only to regret my decision to send her back home, game parts and all.

Abbey Road Designs Opens At Sono Market In Norwalk, CT 

Two days later, I visited a shop called "Abbey Road Designs" which has just opened in the brand new "Sono Market Place" in Norwalk, CT. Lo and behold, the owner, a mixed media artist had up- cycled old game boards and book covers into colorful and useful notebooks or diary/journal books. Now I was sorry I sent my sister home games still in the trunk. I would have to wait until the next stash of old books and game boards came my way.

Instructions For Making Journal/Scrapbooks From Old Game Boards Or Book Covers

Cut up old heavy cardboard game boards or book covers using a Jigsaw in two pieces of the same size. Next punch two holes in the newly made covers and adds binder rings and paper.  These charming books would be a wonderful way to tailor a special book for a young child or to use a theme cover such as an old scrabble board for a scrabble lover. If you arre not the craft type person,  you can buy these wonderful up cycled books at http://www.etsy.com/listing/103324013/scrabble-game-board-recycled-art-journal


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dianne, it was great to meet you last weekend and thank you so much for sharing my creations on your blog. Hope you get to come and visit again soon.
    leslie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis