Saturday, November 13, 2010

Antiques And Social Networking

What Would The Kitsch n Shrink Say About Antique Social Networking?

I bet you didn't know that there is a lot of similarities between managing an Antiques Social Network and leading a Group Therapy session. And I have done both over the years. When I first got involved as the Editor of I Antique Online.com, I was really in a new world. I bought lots of books about Social Media and Social Network Marketing. I also read books with titles like "Search Engine Optimization For Dummies" and books about blogging.

I was eager to learn as much as I could about the topic of Antique Social Networks. But a lot of my questions weren't being addressed in these "How To" manuals. Some would say that the nitty gritty of managing people is a bit more challenging than learning SEO. And then again some might say that mastering SEO is the kicker.

Antique Social Networks And Community Dynamics

All I can say when describing what is was like to become immersed in the dynamics of an Antique Social Community is Oy Vey! Before long, I thought I was back in my role as a Group Therapist. "This one was getting into a tangle with that one"; "another fella felt left out"; "this member felt rejected; " that member felt bullied" and on and on and on..

Yeeks.......whats going on here in the Social Network universe...it's Group Therapy all over again and I was retired! But I was ready for "Community dynamics"...I was prepared...I could tap into my group dynamic theory and make some head way.

Driving The Group Leader Crazy

For example, one of the first lessons you learn when training to become a Group Therapist is that the old members will want to keep the group the way it is and will often give a new member a hard time. The group will also test out the Group leader to see how far they can go giving a newbie a hard time before the group leader intervenes.

Poof You Are Banned

Well the same thing happens on Social Networks,the administrator functions like a Group therapist keeping everyone civil.But the beauty of managing a Social Network on antiques and collectibles is that it is NOT a Group Therapy session...when a member is annoying or too much trouble and you have tried multiple times to keep peace. All you have to do is press the delete button and poof they are banned!

Reading "The Theory and Practice of Group Therapy" (5th Edition)

So if you want to learn more about how to manage a social network or survive in a social network, you really need to reach out beyond the typical books that you will find in the sections on Social Media. You need to read books about group theory. I'm not kidding when I suggest that you order a copy of a classic called:
"The Theory and Practice of Group Therapy" (5th edition) By Irvin D. Yalom. This is where the action is, thinking outside the box of social media.

Photos of collectibles courtesy of http://www.etsy.com/shop/kelleystreetvintage

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog. Wow - fantastic! Sir Thrift-a lot referred me to your post about Glassbake. I just found a Glassbake casserole dish and I can't find any info on the particular pattern.

    Do you have a link for Followers?

    Cheers,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloooo, what is this, high-school? It amazes me how people treat each other, and we're supposed to be adults.

    One of the challenges I've been dealing with as an online group leader is having members who have English as a second, or third, or fourth language. The internet has made the world smaller, but we still cannot always understand each other.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis