Friday, November 5, 2010

1950's Retro Candy From Hometown Favorites, An Old Fashioned Candy Company

A Blast From The Past: 1950's Nostalgic Candy

Fed-Ex rang my doorbell this morning and delivered a gift box labeled "DO NOT OPEN UNLESS YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE 50's". O.K. this is NOT the Duvet cover I ordered from The Company Store nor is it one of my get skinny fast books I ordered from Amazon.

Old Fashioned Candy Favorites

It was a box loaded and I mean loaded with candy that was popular in the 1950s. New candy (old names)...but packaged for today. This clever gift comes from a company called Hometown Favorites and was sent to me by my son Josh and his Bride-To-Be (my FDIL) ..... Becky.

According to The Hometown website "Hometown Favorites began in 1996 as a source of hard-to-find favorites for transplanted northerners to warm, sunny Florida. It has since expanded to include over 2000 old-time favorite foods, shipping to all points in the US and beyond".

A very popular product of Hometown Favorites is their Candy Decade Boxes. they sell 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990,s Decade Boxes and additional Classic Collections of those decades.

Here are some items from my Retro Candy Collection :

Necco Chocolate Wafers
Necco Assorted Wafers
Candy Wax Lips
Clark Bar
Candy Cigarettes
Nik L Lip
Candy Buttons
Oh Henry
Chunky
Sen Sen
Chuckles
Mary Janes
Bubble Gum Cigar
Sno Caps
Moon Pie
Charms
Gold Mine Gum
Candy Sticks
Tootsie Roll
Licorice
Bonomo Turkish Taffy

and much more.

This was the perfect gift for the Kitschy Collector. When my diet book arrives next week, the candy will be all gone!

Hometown Favorites has a fun website with product information as well as recipes and a cool newsletter.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

4 comments:

  1. Candy buttons were always my favorites! What a great gift. Boy would that push my sugar level right off the charts.....LOL Enjoy them for me! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Have a beautiful weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift. I might need to order some of those for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just loved seeing the goodies in your candy box! Thanks so much sharing these! I haven't seen or even thought of that liquid candy in wax bottles (or in your box-nipples!!!) in years.

    We lived in US for 3 years in the 90s and the first time my kids went out trick or treating, I just hit those bags when they came home...Mary Janes, and Baby Ruth and candy buttons are the one I went for-my kind of candy!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis