Sunday, November 7, 2010

Kitschy Thrifty Retro Christmas Decorating

Christmas Decorating Ideas from A Nice Jewish Girl aka The Kitschy Collector
Here is a post about Kitschy Christmas decorating from a nice Jewish girl who was born in Brooklyn surrounded by Menorahs. As the Kitschy Collector I do get around to all the Antique Malls, Flea Markets and second hand stores....And as expected this time of the year, I'm finding plenty of thrifty nifty Christmas decor from generations past. The best part of buying older Christmas decorations is finding new ways to use these colorful attractive ornaments and tchotkes (a little Yiddish for Christmas).

Buying Christmas Decor At Flea Markets


Some of these treasures are really worth paying attention to. Last week at the indoor Flea Market in Plainville, Connecticut there was quite a stash of older boxed and bulk Christmas ornaments, lights and decor. In one booth I thought I was back in my favorite Five and Dime Store where much of these items would be sold in the first place.

You could decorate your entire house for pocket change.

Re-Cycling Christmas Ornaments & Bulbs

Now while it is pretty safe to buy older Tree ornaments, it gets a little tricky when buying older
lights, bulbs and plug in items. It might make sense to ask the vendor if you can try out anything requiring electricity! BUT here is something retro cool to consider......do you have to use light bulbs as bulbs? Consider filling a glass bowl or colorful ceramic bowl with colorful light bulbs or even old bulb ornaments. Or mix a variety of Christmas bulbs and ornaments of different sizes, shapes, colors and textures.

Kitschy Christ
mas Wreath

Another Christmas Cool Idea is to form a Christmas wreath from a collection of older Christmas ornaments and bulbs. And be daring...add some other Christmas kitsch to your design such as Elves and wooden cut outs. Go crazy.....have some fun.

Kitschy Floral Arrangement

Oh, did I fall in love with this idea I found on http://fleamarket.about.com/. You know how we all save the pretty package toppers and corsages from the holidays. Well how about making a "kitschy floral arrangement". Stuff those glitzy kitschy things into a retro vase and be totally hip this Christmas.

Other decor such as lighted candle sticks (which may or may not work now) ....could be re-cycled into a Christmas center piece. When I look at a great collection of older ornaments and decorative holiday accessories at a Flea Market, I wonder...how might I use these fabulous kitschy and cheap holiday decor in a new way.


Christmas Kitsch To Look For:

1. Stuffed toys (Reindeers, Santas, Elves, Snowmen).
2. Old ornaments
3. Plastic decorations.
4. Snow Domes
5. Tree huggers
6. Package and gift toppers.
7. Corsages
8. garland
9. Beads
10. Christmas light bulbs
11, Wood cut outs

Photos Courtesy of :

http://fleamarket.about.com/od/decoratelikeapro/ig/Christmas-Kitsch/Retro-Christmas-Glam.htm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/3125815557_0d5e6da9a3.jpg

inds.org.uk/flickr/photos/tagged/as/kitsch

http://thevintagelist.com/


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE kitschy vintage Christmas items. They remind me of Christmas at Grandma's house.I have tons of ornaments I have collected from many trips to thift shops and yard sales. I am always on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. Stumbled on it looking for vintage Christmas graphics. I love all things vintage, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool blog! Like Kim, I stumbled across it while looking for some ideas on 1950's holiday decorating! You've got some great ones! Wish I could now stumble across some flea market finds like yours! *drool!* Merry Christmas! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are THE coolest xmas wreaths I have ever seen! I want one - no I want them all! ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wreaths were made by Suzie at Georgiapeachez, http://www.georgiapeachez.typepad.com/
    If you have never seen her blog you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,

    Im so glad you wrote me. I thought I covered everyone, thanks for the update,

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dianne, I realize this is an old post, however, I don't mind if my photos are borrowed but please give me credit and a link. Most appreciated. Suzy
    www.georgiapeachezwreaths.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Suzy, Im not sure how I missed that, my apologies!

      Dianne

      Delete

ShareThis