Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Going Back To The "Old Neighborhoods" : Returning To Fresh Meadows And Bayside Queens

Going Back Home To Queens, New York: Remembering The 1950s, 1960s and 1970s

This post is about going back to the "old neighborhood'. It's been over twenty five years or more since I visited the house of my teen years. And even longer since I returned to the Garden Apartment of my Elementary School Days.

Country Village In Bayside, New York

So I decided to venture back home to Queens, New York to see what the old neighborhoods were looking like. To my pleasant surprise, my Bayside house looked just great. The lawn was still as green as when my dad fussed with it. All the homes in "Country Village" were well cared for.

Earth Tone Interiors Back In The 1970s

Back in the 1970's, my mom had what she described as an "expensive" Burnt Orange tiled floor in the entrance way. The large tiled floor coordinated with all the Oranges, Olive Greens and Golds that were found throughout our very first "dream-house". Boy, I can still remember the Mushroom Green velvet drapes hanging in the Master Bedroom. But compared to our humble previous apartment, this earth-tone house was a palace!

Neighbors With A Black, White and Kelly Green Living Room

Next door, in the attached house, were our longtime neighbors who did their 1970's home in Black, White and bright Kelly Green. The image of their living room is forever stuck in my memory as clear as can be. I believe I also had a bathing suit which "matched" this color palette. Oh, yes the 70's were indeed an interesting decade for "unique" decor!

Returning To "Meadow Lark" in Fresh Meadows, Queens, New York

And when I returned to "Meadow Lark", our family's first apartment complex, the place also looked amazing after so many years and tenants. Oh, how I wished I could re-visit the interior of that apartment as it was in the 1950s and 60's.

I would find pink Ballerina wallpaper in my bedroom; white "brick" Faux textured wallpaper in the dining room; plastic fruit inside a Milk glass bowl on the table; beige flat carpets in the living room; Venetian Blinds on the windows; Gravel artwork over the couch and lots of Mosaic tiled, bowls, trivets and accessories made my my dad.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis