Saturday, April 23, 2011

Displaying Your Antiques And Collectibles In The Right Spot ?

Decorating Your Antique Booth: Where is The Good "Karma" ?

If you have been an antique dealer for a long time, you know that certain sections of your antique booth seem to do better than others. Some areas of your antique booth or shop get better light or exposure while other sections seem to get lost. But good lighting and visibility while helpful is does not guarantee that a particular display area will work out well. You need to factor in the issue of "karma".

How "Karma" Plays A Role In How Much You Sell

Don't kid yourself, some spots in your booth or mall have better "karma" than others. A case in point for me (no pun intended). I have this GREAT 1950s white metal kitchen cabinet that makes a wonderful funky retro display shelving unit.

Some Areas in Your Antique Booth Work Better Than Others

BUT things never sell out of it? I have no idea why? I love this cabinet because it is narrow, easy to move around and sets the retro mood in my booth. The problem is.....no matter where I place it or what I put on the shelves of this retro cabinet, nothing seems to sell off of it. It just seems to have bad "karma".

Displaying Collectibles On A Handmade Potting Table

In a less prominent spot in my booth is a darling soft green painted hand made garden potting table which I display vintage kitchen housewares or cottage style collectibles. The "karma" on this potting table is much better than that which surrounds my retro 1950s kitchen cabinet. The same kitchen collectible which is displayed in the metal cabinet will sell when it gets moved to the potting table .....go figure?

The moral of the story is that you should always move around the objects in your antique booth and learn where the best "karma" is!

Photos taken at my shop "Kitsch n Stuff" which is part of The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Society of Professional Journalists

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, there's something about the karma,or as I call it, the "hot spot", in the antique mall space, where just about anything you put there will sell. Thanks for always having such good observations and tips for us antique dealers, Diane!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis