Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Collecting Vintage Housewares In Their Original Package

Five And Dime Housewares Are Fun Collectibles

I love retro housewares and have a hard time resisting buying good old Five and Dime packaged home goods whenever I spot them.. At my shop Kitsch n Stuff located in The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT you will find kitschy housewares from the 1930s, 19040s, 1950s, 1960s.

New Old Stock

While I often lament that it is getting harder and harder to come across vintage housewares and laundry accessories still in their original packaging, every now and then, you come across some new old stock. What I mean by new old stock, is that the stuff is original but has never been used. By the way, did you know they made covers for rolling pins? (see picture). Apparently, the homeowner who had this "non stick " rolling pin cover in her drawer or kitchen cabinet, did't do too much baking after all.

Collecting Old Thumb Tacks

I always wonder about the people who hold onto real old kitchen supplies so long? Did't they get the urge to purge all this stuff after the first 30 years of holing onto it?

A Dozen Packages of Thumb Tacks

Recently I bought a box lot (a dozen packages) of old thumb tacks (now we call them push pins).
I have no idea what I am going to do with so many thumb tacks. But the price was right and I love bargains!

Vintage Clothespins Are Popular Among Collectors

While I adore my thumb tacks, I confess I did have much more fun acquiring the plastic clothespins shown here. Now clothespins do not come that cheap . It appears that clothespins are more desirable than thumb tacks. I am embarrassed to say that I have actually bought old wooden clothespins fin their original packaging for $12.00 -15.00. The plastic ones shown in this post were $6.00.

Old Curtain Tie Backs

Vintage curtain tie backs are another house-ware product that collectors like. I generally see these items sell for $8.00-12.00 a pair. The tea pot tie backs shown are courtesy of http://teawithfriends.blogspot.com/2009/06/teapot-curtain-tie-back-holders_9964.html

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis