Monday, February 21, 2011

Do You Have The Chutzpah To Wear Purple And Red? Remembering Colorful Vintage Relatives

Vintage Purple Jewelry And Accessories...Just What Grandma Esther Liked

Do you have any relatives that when you think of them you think in color? For example, you may have heard me talk about my Grandmother Esther...I refer to her in one of my books as Shabby Granny. This woman I would think of as the color purple. She loved PURPLE. And she would mix purple and red together. What is your favorite color? Do you have a color palette that defines you?

Having The Chutzpah To Be Colorful

I wish I had the chutzpah to wear a purple sweater with a red blouse, but I don't! Shabby Granny on the other hand was not at all shabby ...but let's say "colorful". Grandma liked accessorizing with big round beads and a series of favorite hats. She always looked lovely, just colorful. I loved visiting her apartment. She had so many treasures stuffed inside her dresser drawers.

Buried Tschotskes

I have fond memories of her Maple drop down desk with drawers that would be crammed with old cards, wrapping paper, photographs, trinkets, souvenirs etc. Boy did I like poking around in those drawers. This desk was something of a burial ground for old tschotskes galore. If only I had the sense to hold onto all these "collectibles" instead of tossing them .

Unloading Hand Me Downs

The reason I refer to her as "Shabby Granny" is that she was the grand mom of Shabby Chic. She loved taking old pocketbooks, hats, scarves etc. from all her kids who were happy to unload their hand me downs on Grandma Esther. She was also a royal scavenger. But enough about family secrets. I just want to know what color would we say is you? I'm lime green...what about you?

Photos Courtesy of Barbara's Barn

Visit:

Barbara's Barn
Antiques, Collectibles & Costume Jewelry
127 Main Street
Seymour, CT 06483
203-268-9805

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis