Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pinterest.com: Cheaper Than Therapy And Great For Relaxation


Pinning On Pinterest.com Is Good For Your Mental Health

Now that I have retired as a psychotherapist and identify myself as an
ARTIST...and kitschy collector, I'm not thinking too much about "psych" stuff...mine or anyone elses. Hmm, I suppose there is a deeper explanation here. Perhaps making art soaks up all my crazy stuff ..... It's channeled into my work. And when I need a  break from art, schedules, family and life...than I can always count on the pleasure I get when going antiquing.

The Urge to Go Junk Collecting

Recently I have discovered  another way to feed my junk collecting urges. I can now go antiquing on Pinterest.com. Pinterest.com at this time is is not a buying and selling site. (although the site is used as a marketing tool for many businesses). Think of Pinterest.com as a super sized virtual  scrapbook that you get to create to suit your own tastes, interests and  collecting habits.
Building Pinterest.com Boards

 The member builds what are called "boards" ( bulletin ) that you "pin" photographs onto of items that you like. Photographs come from other members, your computer photo file or sources on the  internet.


Pinterest.com I s Like Children's Lotto For Adults

 I have decided that Pinterest.com is like playing lotto bingo as a kid. Remember this game, you  have a board that  you match objects to. You place the cat on the cat spot and the dog on the dog spot  etc. until you have filled the board.  On Pinterest I am building my boards, like the old fashioned lotto game. So when a vintage red kitchen bowl appears on the Main page of the site  I can "repin" that  bowl onto my "Kitschy Kitchen Bowl" board.

Pinning Boards Is Like Doodling: Mindless Relaxation

[Source: Piemouth.] This task  of hunting for collectibles on Pinterest.com and than pinning photographs on categories of  boards that I have created is like doodling......you get swept away from the left side of your brain to the right side of your brain in mindless yet satisfying constructions of virtual bulletin boards. Try pinning on Pinterest.com while pretending to be watching the news coverage you will enjoy the distraction. Pinning on Pinterest.com is cheaper and safer than an antidepressant or tranquilizer and it's FREE.


Photo credits from  http://pinterest.com/kitschnstuff/kitschy-thrifty-housewife/
Visit:
 http://pinterest.com/upnow/
http://pinterest.com/cutiepiecottage/
http://pinterest.com/cahartnell/

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Dianne. I've amassed collections of vintage wrapping paper, travel posters and glamorous evening dresses without spending a dime! Pinterest has saved a nutty collector like me thousands of dollars! Thanks for your fun posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could pin ALL DAY I love it so much !! (Monica)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianna, you have validated my habit! I love it and am excited to find you there and follow your collections too.
    Happy Pinning,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis