Saturday, April 13, 2013

Did You Know There Is An Online "Paint by Number" Museum ? Read Up On This Hobby Before You Go Out Antiquing

"Paint by Number": A Hobby That Swept The Nation in the 1950s

Oh, my I just discovered that there is now a "Paint by Number Museum" online. You will find images of Paint by Number Art, articles, exhibits, advertising catalogs and everything you could possibly want to know on the topic.

 I just ordered this older reference book called  Paint by Number: The How-To-Craze that Swept the Nation. 

One thing we can say about this hobby that really caught on during the 1950s-1960s is that it left a lot of funky artsy  for wall decor for baby boomers to now bring home once again. And on that note, I'm off to find some "Paint By Numbers" for my walls.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Society of Professional Journalists

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your site and there is so much information here, thanks. I always thought those paint by numbers were horrible artistically, but now, I have bought two paintings. Why? Is it nostalgia or is my tolerance of kitsch just increasing with age? I have seen groupings of these paintings and they look good together. Or, am I just a sheep following a craze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love paint by numbers! Thank you for posting that museum link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this link! My daughter has been a HUGE fan of dog & cat Paint by numbers since she was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine were horrible artistically as fine motor control was always an issue and those small # and small spaces for so many different colors. I couldn't cope with patience and neatness. But some out there are really well done and of course some subject matter more interesting than others.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis