Monday, October 13, 2014

Downsizing Advice For Older Adults: Label Plastic Storage Boxes With Color Coded Labels

Making Your Parent's Move More Colorful: Using Color Coded Labels For Plastic Storage Boxes


Help!!! I am addicted to clear
plastic storage boxes. In fact I think the obsession has spread to my entire family. Recently I joked that the family crest should be a Sterilite plastic container. Today I wanted to remind my readers that when they use plastic boxes for family moves, be sure to label your boxes, preferably with a color coded system to indicate where the boxes will be going once they reach their destination. For example, green=bedroom or yellow=kitchen. I found variety packs of labels in colors at Walmart.

Use Colored Masking Tape To Mark Boxes Fragile

You also should label which boxes have glass items. To mark fragile boxes, I found masking tape in colors also at Walmart. I suggest writing  GLASS GLASS GLASS across the tape and adding this tape (along with the label of contents) to each box both on the top and across the side. You can also cut up index cards in a variety of colors to usse as labels. In this case, you can use Scotch tape to fasten the labels to your boxes.

If you are moving an older adult to an Assisted Living or smaller apartment (or college kids), you may want to also use plastic boxes that can slide under a bed or easily fit into a closet to give you extra storage capacity.

Read more about this topc in my section Caring For Aging Parents: Vintage Mom and Dad

Also visit my site I Antique Online.com and check out Estate Mavens: Help With Estate Liquidation

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

1 comment:

  1. Great Suggestions! We were fortunate that when Mom finally moved into a Nursing Home permanently she decided to divide up her possessions amongst the Adult Children prior to her move to a Shared Room with very little space for personal possessions. With her making the decisions about her precious Treasures it made it easier for my Brother and I to assist her in the process of downsizing so quickly and thoroughly. Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis