Sunday, June 15, 2014

Decorating Your Garden With A Chippy Child's Chair


Using An Old Child's Chair As An Outdoor Plant Pedestal

A few years back,  I bought a really banged up, splintered, chippyawfully looking pale yellow vintage children's chair for two bucks at a tag sale. This was a pretty unusual purchase for me, because even though I have written a book about Cottage collectibles and Cottage style decorating, I was never one for buying beat up chairs.


But I thought, hey, let me try to sit this chair on my porch and use it as a plant stand. The chair has been with me now for several summer seasons. The chair has been host to a variety of colorful plants and has even weathered lots of rain and wetness. The chair just seems to survive and gets better and better looking each year!

So after my first experiment with splintered old chairs, I started to pay attention to floral displays at antique shows. Here are some lovely displays I came across last week at The Harwinton Antique Show in Harwinton, C t.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

1 comment:

  1. Dianne,
    I've been using children's high chairs and doll high chairs for plant stands for a few years now, inside and out. They are so wonderful for that. I enjoyed this post as I enjoy all of them!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis