Friday, November 15, 2013

Shop Handmade For The Holidays at The Farmington Valley Arts Center in Avon, CT

My Idea Of Holiday Shopping Is To Buy Handmade Fine Artisan Crafted Gifts and Art at The Farmington Valley Arts Center, Avon, CT  

Tis the seasosn for holiday shopping....and FVAC Candlelight Celebration - Opening November 22, 2013

Tis the season for holiday shopping......I went to get my mail yesterday out of my mailbox and I thought I had just picked up the delivery for the whole neighborhood. Nope...it was all for me... a pile of holiday catalogs and flyers from retailers.

 Shop Handmade: Be Artsy 

I made two piles for the catalogs... keep and toss (or collage). In the keep pile were mostly home decor catalogs which I like to browse through to see what colors and styles are being promoted this season. Do I actually go running to the mall to buy something I saw in a catalog.....nope! I'm more apt to get ideas from catalogs rather than prompted to go shopping to the mall.

Where To Shop For Artisan Crafted Holiday Gifts and Art In Connecticut

My idea of holiday gift giving is to shop handmade. I prefer artisan crafted ceramics, textiles, jewelry, home decor wearable art etc.  I'm lucky to have a beautiful art studio at The Farmington Valley Arts Center  (FVAC) in Avon, CT because shopping for the holidays is simple for me, I just have to  go down to the first floor and shop at our fabulous Esther Drezner Gallery and Holiday Gift shop.  (This year Chanukah is on Thanksgiving...yikes!).

Visit 20 Artist Studios And A Tea Room  

The FVAC  complex which boasts 20 artist studios, two galleries and classroom space has also been known for carrying wonderful gifts made by fine artists.  This year visit a lovely Tea Room on the second floor with a gallery of small works by FVAC artists in additon to visiting all the other artist open studios (two floors) with lots of art, sculpture, textiles etc.


The Farmington Valley Artisan Holiday Gift Shop Has A Brand New Look 

Out gift shop at The Farmington Valley Arts Center has had a brand new look this year with a very talented manager, Sandy who has acquired objets d' art from regional and national artisans. Keeping all budgets in mind, Sandy has been very successful at finding gorgeous jewelry, clothing, artwork, clocks, glassware. ceramics, pottery, giftware, Judaica by Gary Rosenthal and others and more which will appeal to holiday shoppers.

Before I forget......be sure to visit The Fisher Gallery (larger of the two galleries at FVAC) for a spectacular SURPRISE......

 For more information visit: http://artsfvac.org/

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis