Thursday, May 2, 2013

Flower Power Vinyl Tote: Fabulous Handbag For Retro Gals

Hip Colorful Plastic 1960's-1970's Handbag

It was one minute to closing time, and the staff at the Antique Mall where I rent a booth was beginning to shut the lights off. Just as I was approaching the finish line, I spotted a 1960's (or early 70s) vinyl Flower Power box shaped larger tote in a really groovy color combination in the far corner of one of the booths. With the kind of  glorious excitement that only obsessed collectors can explain, I reached for the handbag and tugged it quickly towards me. I gave this aqua and royal blue flower power handbag a look over and it was in great shape.

I  looked inside of the platic handbag and still the tote passed the "looky" test, no stains, no tears, no smell.  It was in wonderful condition. My next step would be to peak at the the price tag and see if  the seller and I were in the playing field. The tag read $28.00. The lights were quickly going off  in Mall and the cash register was closing. It was time to go.  Now all I have  is a photo of the suitcase/handbag. I'm serioulsy thinking of driving back today and claiming this funky treasure from the Mod years. What do my readers have to say....would you buy it? Do you remember what they were used for i.e. make up or pocketbook? 

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis