Monday, September 21, 2009

Organizing Kitchen Collectibles and Displays After Creativity Storms

In my antique shop Kitsch n Stuff at The Collinsville Antiques Company, I am known for my colorful displays of housewares and kitchen collectibles from the 1940s and 1950s. Whenever I am in a particularly creative mood, I am apt to completely pull apart my shop. But in the matter of a few hours, I am ready for business.

If you walked by my booth during one of these "creativity storms" you would see one heck of a mess! There would be linens all over the floor, piles of ceramics tumbling out of an enamel bucket (where I place them while working) , salt and pepper shakers tucked into advertising tins and mounds of goodies waiting for their new placement.

You might even hear lots of banging and clanging during one of my booth makeovers, and a shout or two from me to the front desk staff, "it's just me...don't worry! " I become a "mad scientist" during these major decorating whirlwinds. When the storm has passed I can step back and enjoy the colorful and cohesive look which i seem to be able to pull off time and time again. Here are some pointers about organizing displays to share with you.

Tips About How to Organize Kitchen Collectible Displays
1. Consider organizing objects by theme: "Dutch", "Mexicana" , "fruit", "the color red", "florals".
2. Mix up sizes and shape of similar objects (i.e. aqua ceramic vases of all sizes and shapes).
3. Be consistent with era ( Victorian, Mid-century, Seventies).
4. Group similar material together ( wood with wood, silver with silver , glass with glass).
5. Add a punch of color to displays (a red rose to a clear glass display).
6. Use timely displays (earth tones in the Fall).
7. Keep cheap with cheap and expensive with expensive. (separate Tiffany from Dimestore) .
8. Specialize in several related areas to attract repeat customers.

C. Dianne Zweig
is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis