Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mixed Media Collage: Building On Layers To Create A Successful Well Composed Piece

The Joy Of Tearing Up Painted Papers In Mixed Media Collage

In the mixed media collage world, many of us paint our own papers and then tear those papers up  to create our collaged work. Yesterday while in my art studio, I was thinking about how much fun it is to paint the papers and how grueling it can be to form those papers into a cohesive, exciting and well composed  piece of artwork. Of course the beauty in this method of working is that you add layer upon layer onto your support, essentially starting over again and again.

In Mixed Media Collage: Don't Fall In Love With Your First Layer

During my first layer yesterday I was in soft cream colors, only to leave the studio with an incomplete piece that ended with shades of aquamarine and dark blues.  When I return today to rework my collage, I maybe in an entirely different palette. One thing is for sure, never fall in love with your first layer. And if there are papers that you really are keen on, don't use them in the early phases of your piece, because if you work like most of us, these pieces will eventually become buried with newer layers.

Loosening Up To The Creative Frenzy Phase Of Mixed Media Collages

I also have noticed  that I work in predictble  phases when collaging mixed media pieces. I start off careful and deliberate and by the late afternoon, my frustration level is converted into a wonderful "I don't care about this piece anymore" so whatever happens can happen. This realization that I may have just "ruined" the piece is followed by a wonderful creative frenzy which is loose, experimental and daring. At this stage, surprises appear, color combination I wasn't planning emerge and the mixed media collage starts saying "look at me, I'm developing into something engaging".

Readers are welcome toleave a comment and tell us about your experiences.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis