Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I Channeled My Mother.....Added Ketchup To The Brisket...Another Rosh Hashanah Dinner Success Story

Cooking Brisket Is An Art 

Once again, I pulled out my Brisket recipe which has been at the head of my binder for 21 precious years. Some years  this recipe comes through with flying colors and other years I wonder why I don't search for a replacement. I secretly scoff at my friends who make their Brisket with beer, or Coca cola or whatever.


But I am happy to report that  I made this dish  this past Sunday evening (Erev Rosh Hashanah) and all was well. I was back on track. My secret will soon be revealed.

I attribute  my success to my growing experience as a Mixed Media artist.  Did I lose you? What does Brisket and  art have in common? Both cooking and making art is about "process" and experience. Every artist brings to the drawing table their own style and favored tools and products. The experienced cook, like the Mixed Media artist  builds self confidence and enjoys experimenting  with a variety of methods, ingredients and cooking styles.   

So what did I learn in 21 years of making this Brisket recipe with its ups and downs? 

This year I channeled my mother and added KETCHUP.......it was a marvelous Brisket!    

BRISKET RECIPE

Adapted from 1991 New York Times Recipe

3 lb  Brisket fat trimmed (make sure one piece)
salt and ground pepper
nutmeg
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 onions sliced
garlic minced
1 cup dry red wine 
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon vinegar
4 sprigs parsley
2 celery tops
1 bay leaf

1. Dust Brisket with salt, pepper, nutmeg and flour and brown in Dutch Oven or on top of stove with a little oil.
2. Brown onions and garlic in Olive oil.
3. Join Meat and onions/garlic in roasting pot .
4. Pour sauce made from ingredients above over Brisket.
5. Add bay leaf.

Cook for two plus hours ( It takes way longer) until meat is nice and soft. I add cut up potatoes roasting pan (par boiling first).

I also may add more honey, and sometimes ketchup to sauce after an hour if I want to alter the taste to make  a little sweeter.  You may need to add some water to sauce if too dry. 

Put in refrigerator. Next day slice and  return to pan. Reheat later that evenin


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis