Sunday, October 17, 2010

1950's Pot Holder Weaving Loom By Transogram Toys And Games: A Collectible To Remember

BOY DO I REMEMBER THE FABULOUS TOYS MADE BY THE TRANSOGRAM TOY AND GAME COMPANY OF NEW YORK

I had to share with you this 1950's pot holder craft kit, I found listed at Pollydoodlesco on Etsy.com . This weaving loom and Jersey loops are in a boxed set made by Transogram Toys and Games, New York, NY.

Woolworth Jersey Loops

Take a look at those wonderful bags of Jersey loops in a Woolworth packaging. The adjustable metal loom is made of metal. The set shown is incomplete. It is missing the instruction booklet, hook and some of the wing bolts.

but boy does this set bring back memories. I particularly remember the name Transogram. According to the Lehman Brothers Collection of Business Archive (Harvard University) , Transogram started out in 1915, founded by Charles S. Raizen.

Companies Owned by Transogram
"Transogram made toys, games, playroom furniture, coloring, craft sets, and sports sets under the brand name Transogram. Over the years it added several wholly owned subsidiaries including Anchor Toy Corporation, Playwood Plastics Company, Toy Research Institute, Inc., Toy Scouts of America, Transco Adult Games, and Transogram Midwest, Inc.
Toys By Transogram
Transogram was the creator of many well-known toys. In the 1930s it expanded into the manufacture of games, including “Big Business,” which was introduced in 1935, and “Game of India” and “Tiddledy Winks,” introduced in 1938. It also developed the “Green Ghost” board game, and in the 1950s it sold the very successful “Prince Valiant” board game and a variety of “paint-by-number” sets."

http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/lehman/chrono.html?company=transogram_company_inc

Photos courtesy of
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pollydoodlesco


Read More About Loop Pot Holders:
http://cdiannezweig.blogspot.com/2009/12/collecting-and-making-retro-kitchen-pot.html


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Fiiinallly got a look at the new book! It was well worth the wait, and I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found my old loom up in the attic last week. Let me tell you, I was a potholder making freak when I was a kid! So many of your posts bring back happy memories, and I love that and thank you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have one of those pot holder looms and had lots of fun using it. I made my mom many pot holders which lasted a long time. I have no idea where that little loom went.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis