Thursday, September 4, 2014

Downsizing: What To Do With Old Computers and Electronics

Recycling Old Computers And Electronics When You Are  Cleaning Up

Finally, the decision was made to unload the growing mound of old computers and stereos that were taking up a great deal of space in our basement. The "tower" of electronics had to go but where and how? There was a flurry of hope for discarding all this clunky stuff when a Super Goodwill store openedup in our town this summer. But Goodwill is picky and they said nah!  I got a few "no's" from others as well and then learned about the Electronic Recyle Program at Best Buy  and with the help of my son and his friend our stash of outdated computers etc. found a new home.

First Step Before You Trash A Computer Is Destroying The Hard Drive 

In the pile were computer towers, monitors, keyboards, old speakers, broken stereos and outdated electronics of all kinds. My son alerted me that before anyone handed over any
computers, that the hard drives needed to be destroyed. You got to be kidding, ....I had no clue we needed to do that. Nor do I have any idea where to find the hard drives. He did and along with a couple of hammers, my son, his friend and my husband they went outside and smashed the hard drives.

After the whacking party,  my son and his friend loaded years and years of saved electronics to the back of my car and drove it to Best Buy. It was a fabulous feeling....all this plastic and metal junk gone...finally.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis